Monday 18 September 2017

Gandalf Life size sculpture 2012

Straight after finishing the 1:6 collectable sculpture of Gandalf, Weta asked me to make a full sized figure of the same design.
We started off by scanning the collectable figure and converting it into a digital asset. The scaled up version was then milled out in polystyrene. I make this process sound simple only because I was hardly involved.
Once milled out I replaced The staff and sword hilt with  casts taken from the film props. I also used a life cast of Sir Ian McKellen's face instead of the scan of my little sculpt.

All the polystyrene was then covered in a wax based clay to be sculpted textured and detailed.






A bronze version was later installed outside the Roxy Cinema in Miramar Wellington.



No comments:

Post a Comment

ZA News: 2009 -2010

I was extremely fortunate to work on some sculptures for the Political satire puppet series: Puppet Nation Here are some of my projects ...